Friday, November 11, 2011

The Armistice



At the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, the Great War ended.  Almost everyone I know knows that story - how the fighting stopped.  What's focused on next at my school, at least, is Woodrow Wilson and his Fourteen Points, but I had a teacher in seventh grade who insisted that Veterans Day was in fact Armistice Day for the rest of the world.  She explained to me that Armistice Day, the eleventh of November, wasn't a day to have off school but rather a day to remember the war dead.
This is by far a bigger thing in Britain and Europe.  This is a day when one remembers that an awful lot of people were lost in those trenches, people with families and lives, and people are still lost in war.
Happy Armistice Day, everyone.
Poppy from here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bronwyn,

    We always remember Armistice Day here in New Zealand every year, on 11/11 where all the Country stops what they are doing and we have a moment of silence to remember the dead.

    Hope that you have a lovely week
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a day to remember.

    I've missed your blog Bronwyn! I recently launched my new website; come by sometime.

    ReplyDelete