Thursday, February 16, 2012

Developmental Biology

If you've been reading this for a while, you've probably picked up that I'm not exactly a scientist.  I write about books I love, about music and family and travel.
However, today was the last lecture of my developmental biology module at Reed, and I would just like to talk about my lecturer for a second.
Professor Steve Black is retiring this year, and he made biology fascinating for me.  He taught me about how masterful genes aren't always masterful, about the difference between radial and spiral cleavage, about how pharmaceutical companies are out to make money and not really to help you.  I learned that the surrealists were fascinated by sea urchins and about mosaic development.  He explained meiosis in the most simple and clear manner so that I finally understood what was going on.
I learned a lot of biology in the past so many weeks, but I've also learned to love biology.  I never thought I was going to enjoy looking at sea urchin eggs under a microscope - I was honestly just taking bio to get my huge science requirement out of the way - but somehow I do enjoy it.
Today Steve came in wearing a tie-dyed blazer and ended the lecture rapping about everything we'd learned.  I love my school.

No comments:

Post a Comment