Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Thesis Trees



At Reed College, the cherry trees are in bloom.  They arch over Eliot Circle and are dense and flowering enough so that you only see portions of the sky when you stand directly below (the photo is from a couple days ago).  Walking from Commons to Vollum (the lecture hall) to learn about the Aeneid and to discuss Baudelaire is pretty incredible.
In between all of the work, in between the paper on French poetry and the six books of reading and all three hours of Bach's St Matthew's Passion, between the crossword with my friends and playing the piano and living my pretty excellent life of intellectual inquiry, I get to walk beneath those trees and think about it.  I live here.  I am so lucky to be here.


(photo by the lovely Alexandra, who visited me over the weekend)

No comments:

Post a Comment