Thursday, October 28, 2010

Book Review: The Bone People

            Okay, maybe this isn’t the best book to review because it is my favorite book in the world.  I used to hate it when people asked me what my favorite book was – there are so many to choose from and I love to read.  But on Parents Weekend my senior year, my mother and I went into a bookshop – she was going on a business trip soon and we were looking for books to read on the plane – and found the Bone People.  I usually read pretty fast, but this one took me about two weeks to read, mainly because I wanted to savor it, and since then it’s become my favorite book of all time.  For me, at least, this is the best book I have ever read.
            That said, it’s not for everyone.  It deals with some really tough issues in unusual ways.  It’s not exactly PC about things that people get very angry about.  But I think the story, and the writing, and even the polarizing parts are incredible.  Keri Hulme has this way with words that drowns you in her story, that makes you want to find that South Island beach with the tower.  When I was reading it, I never wanted it to end. 
            I’ve read it maybe three times since and every time I love it more and more.  On some level, I think it’s true that the first time you read something is the best time because after that you know the story and all the resolutions to the problems.  Nevertheless, I learn something new every single time I read this book.  Go and read it.  It doesn’t matter if you love it or hate it – it’s still beautiful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment