Friday, October 29, 2010

Weekend fast approaching

Hurray, it's Friday!  The Friday before Hallowe'en, no less! In our house, Hallowe'en is usually a big deal.  We dress up and festoon the bushes in old cobwebs and stuff old clothes full of pillows so that it looks like a headless man is sitting on the porch.  But this year we haven't even got our pumpkins yet!  I think it has something to do with my brother Caleb being in the middle of junior year midterms....
In the past, we've had very inventive and hard-to-classify costumes.  I think that I was once a Hungarian pixie, and when we were very little (before my sister was born), Caleb and I went as a cat (him) and an angel (me).  The cat had mouse ears.  It used to be that at the end of every summer, when we went camping, we would bike around Eagle Lake in Acadia National Park and then sit on a certain rock to discuss Hallowe'en costumes, and now I guess that doesn't happen anymore.  My sister Ursula plans to be a fishwife, I believe.  I might just find a dress that I don't wear very often and put that on...
Hallowe'en is also my father's birthday, but we generally don't celebrate on Hallowe'en due to Trick-or-Treating and the like... and since Caleb finishes his midterms today, he has the weekend and a couple days next week off.  We might go hiking up Mount Cardigan or something to celebrate my father's birthday...
I miss the days when I was so excited for Hallowe'en that I couldn't think of anything else for about two weeks.  Now I've almost forgotten it with the volunteer work that I'm doing and my Harvard Extension School class, which has been taking up a ton of my time with the two papers that are due on Tuesday.  Holidays go by too fast now...
What is your favorite holiday?  What are you doing this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment