Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Nantucket Essentials



I'm on my yearly holiday - our pilgrimage to Nantucket for a week, where we play in the sea and bike up and down the island and watch the sunset over the cranberry bogs.  I've been coming here for my whole life, so I figured I would share some of the important things to have and do here, in no particular order...
1) A bike.  Bikes are genius and wonderful inventions - especially for us, as we don't take a car to the island.  Bikes get us to and from the grocery store, all the way into town for ice-cream at the Juice Bar, and up the cliff road to Madaket for the sunset or to Ram's Head for a lovely walk in the conservation land.
2) Sunscreen.  Sunscreen is always important for very fair-skinned people like my brother and me, but it is especially important on the beach with the sun reflecting off the waves!  That said, a little bit of sun isn't too bad for you - yay, vitamin D!  I personally like Neutrogena sunscreen (I have really sensitive skin), but make sure that it's waterproof if you're going in the water!
3) Swimsuit.  This is kind of obvious... I actually have two (is that bad?)  I once read somewhere that you probably want two swimsuits - one to look nice in and one to actually do sporty water things.  I personally think that you should only buy a swimsuit if you like the way it looks on you, but it definitely helps to have a reasonably resilient one in you're like me and spend your mornings jumping in and out of the surf.  One is a Pain de Sucre bikini that I bought in Paris and one is a tankini (which means less sunscreen).  It also helps to have two if one is wet and still drying and you want to go swimming...
These make sense for the beach in general....
Tomorrow I will write about my favourite Nantucket things to do!
Thank you so much...
(photo from here)

No comments:

Post a Comment