Tuesday, August 30, 2011

College, Again

Today is my second day of actual classes!
After yesterday, when upperclassmen dressed as the Greek gods and goddesses welcomed the freshmen outside of the Humanities lecture (Hum 110 is the one class that everyone at Reed takes) and we learned to sing the first lines of the Iliad and the Odyssey, after I met the French Language Scholars and almost cried for Paris in French and after a short bio lecture, I am so happy to be here.  I love going to a school where the gods and goddesses welcome you to humanities, where at certain parties the entire school chants "Homer, Homer, Homer," where my friends can come and sit in my room and talk about everything - gossip and coffee and Penelope's shroud.
As you guys knew (to some extent), I was pretty worried about going off to college - worried and excited, but still.  Pretty damn scared.  However, my darling Kuzu said something about it - that she was worried before she left but she can't remember it.  Her group of friends at her college are lovely and accepting and she's super-happy.  I remember thinking "well, yes, but that's you - they're going to laugh at me and think I'm silly and not get my jokes."  To those of you about to start college, I don't think that's true.  My friends laugh at my jokes and, yes, they laugh at me sometimes, but we also talk about serious things and light things and that's how it should be.  So if you're starting sometime soon (like the lovely Alexandra), don't worry.  Thus far, it all works out fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment