Thursday, January 27, 2011

What is pretty?

I was thinking about this the other day - what makes one person think that someone is gorgeous while another just... doesn't?  Everyone knows I adore my brother, and the other night we were talking about actresses and actors.  And he came up with this: "Cate Blanchett is really just not attractive."  I'm sorry, but WHAT?  My darling brother went on to say something along the lines of "her face looks funny."  I pulled out some fashion magazine where I thought she looked lovely, and got, "yeah, but nothing special... not like Meryl Streep or anything."  So... Caleb likes Meryl Streep, but not Cate Blanchett.  Interesting.  Personally, I think that they're both super-lovely and talented.  Also, both have incredible cheekbones.  And I thought it was cute that a teenage boy pulls Meryl Streep out as an example of loveliness rather than someone younger and newer.  It might have something to do with Out of Africa, a movie that we both loved...

The lovely Cate Blanchett, from here

And the gorgeous Meryl Streep, from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment