Friday, April 8, 2011

Coffee

This could perhaps be the courtyard of the Macondo house... (via)

I started drinking my coffee black after I read "One Hundred Years of Solitude" last summer.   It's funny how little things about books stay with you - I remember being in Acadia with my family, sitting in the hammock over the Sound at our campsite before we went hiking or biking for the day, wrapped up in the long lives of the José Arcadios and the Aurelianos of the Buendia family, in their long full house in Macondo, the first in line tied to a tree and the last is being eaten by ants (you will understand this if you have read the book).
One of the things that the Buendias did was always drink their coffee black, with no sugar.   Before reading "One Hundred Years of Solitude" I used to drink coffee rarely, and then it was more like a glass of milk with a little bit of coffee in it.  I've always been more of a tea person - and I still drink more tea than I do coffee.  But when I do drink coffee, it's now strong and hot and black with no sugar, the way I imagine that the Aurelianos and the José Arcadios drink theirs.
Do you drink coffee?  Have you read "One Hundred Years of Solitude?"  Did you like it?  I love Gabriel Garcia Marquez and his style of magical realism - the myth-history quality of his novels, especially this one....
Let me know!

1 comment:

  1. the books sounds interesting. im a big coffee drinker, so that kind of got my interest haha!! but i dont know if i can drink it all black-i guess not until i read the book <3

    ReplyDelete