Thursday, September 29, 2011

Brief Interviews With Hideous Men, Or, I Get Excited About Books



On Tuesday Dave lent me David Foster Wallace's "Brief Interviews With Hideous Men," a collection of short stories and essays and general DFW musings.  I've read it before, but it's been a little while and I forgot how lovely it is.  This happens with books for me, which is quite nice.  I love being able to get excited about books, to gasp audibly when something happens even when it's a book that I've loved forever and ever.  I get excited and nervous every time I read "The Silver Chair" or "The Subtle Knife," the books I grew up with.  I can read "The Bone People" over and over and still be absolutely astonished at the incredible quality of the writing (Keri Hulme, I love you).
Do you re-read books?  Do they still make you happy and excited and scared?
(Picture drawn by the incredible Julianna Swaney of Oh My Cavalier!)

No comments:

Post a Comment