Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Thinking Deeply

When I was on my Backpacking Odyssey, we got a talk about the Honor Principle and violations.  The Honor Principle is different for everyone; your idea of what it means changes with how much time you've spent at Reed and what you do with your time, who you hang out with, etc.
One of our expedition leaders told us to think deeply about what the Honor Principle meant to us, for both the practical reason of if you're ever called upon to defend it you can, and also just so that you know what you want, who you are, what your morals are.  I have been told time and again that Reed almost forces you to have a strong sense of self, an idea of who you are that you can explain and defend to your own questions.  I don't have that yet, I don't think.  Granted, this is the beginning of my second week of classes - I have time.  But in between my Humanities paper and my Bio readings, I have been thinking deeply about who I am and what I want and how far I am willing to go.  I figure this will be an ongoing internal conversation for basically the rest of my life.
Is this a normal college thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment