Friday, October 21, 2011

Walking Ursula To School...



... is one of those things that doesn't seem like it will be fun (walking so many blocks up Magazine and through Central, all the way up Prospect and turning finally past the park and by the crossing lady) and then turns out to be one of those lovely moments with my sister.
It is early in the morning; we leave at seven-fifty or so (vas-y, she says), walking by the other people on their ways to work and the like.  We talk about everything - today it was books and physician-assisted suicide - and all too soon we are at school and I'm kissing her goodbye.  I love these little moments of mundane life with my family - I love mornings when everyone is rushing out the door ("sweetheart, can you feed the cats?") and the background guitar lick from NPR's Morning Edition.  I love dinnertime and the evenings of homework spread out across the kitchen table.
Now that it's almost my second-to-last day home, the Boston weather is finally gorgeous New England autumn and I have found my place in family routine and I have to leave all over again.  But in the meantime, I can do things like walk my sister to school and feed the cats and listen to the radio.  And that should be enough.

(the picture is a Julianna Swaney print from Oh My Cavalier - I bought a different one from her and I love it!)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bronwyn,

    Lovely post and sweet illustration.
    Sounds like a lovely family life you have and yes, the mundane and routine one, is a good way to be.

    Happy weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete