Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer

I am not cut out for summer.  I wilt in warm weather, when the humidity is like a blanket and somehow the sun is still beating down on you through the humid haze.  I sunburn easily, and my friends know that the weather I like best is slightly chilly rain and overcast skies that make the trees look greener, or those crisp autumn days when the sky is so blue you can't look up and there's a chill that means snow in a couple months but apples now.
What I like about summertime is plunging into icy saltwater and hiking in shady forests before you reach the summit and the wind howls.  I like barbeques and ice cream and being outside in nature, but I am not a summer-in-the-city person.
Yesterday it hit 95 in Paris and I was unprepared.  For days it had been ever-so-slightly chilly, cold enough to wear stockings under a sundress, cold enough to not suffocate under the covers.  And then the heat hit.  I am ashamed to say that I basically went into lockdown and stayed inside.
How do you deal with the heat?

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you all the way on Summer heat.
    give me ice cream and icy water to survive the heat.
    But there is an out.
    Paris has the BEST, nicest community pools.
    I tended to gravitate to the piscine du Marche Saint-Germain pool.
    Give it a whirl - very civilized and orderly and so close to Gerard Mulot - just a skip away.
    xcarolg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you so much! I will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about HUMID & hot days - can't stand them...but I do love a good dry heat. Doesn't help when I do hot yoga on hot humid days...there's no getting away from it!

    ReplyDelete