Friday, June 17, 2011

Van Gogh...



... is one of my favourite painters ever.  When I was with the incredible Alexandra on our trip 'round the world (okay, Europe), we visited the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, and though it was expensive, though the wait was long, though it was crowded, it took my breath away.  We wandered through his earlier works, through lovely Japanese-woodblock-inspired paintings, through his compelling self-portraits and the heady colorful landscapes of his home in Arles.  We saw the painting above, of a blossoming almond branch.



Today we took my cousin, aunt, and uncle to the Musée d'Orsay, where we saw more Van Gogh.  I was excited for multiple reasons - I got to go to the Musée d'Orsay and show my darling family the Paris and the art I love, it was Van Gogh (reason enough), and also, they had a Doctor Who episode in which they met Vincent Van Gogh and went to the Musée d'Orsay.  Don't judge.  But we saw the painting above - Church at Auvers - and an awful lot more.  
Do you like Van Gogh or the Musée d'Orsay?  Let me know!

Pictures from here and here...

No comments:

Post a Comment