Friday, February 18, 2011

There Are Just A Couple Things I Want To Say

Before I start, I just want to say that I'm not trying to offend anybody here.  I just thought that these were interesting.
Part I:  Everyone should go read this post on Wronging Rights about Lara Logan.
Part II: Have you noticed that there are now further protests in Bahrain and in Libya?  What do you think of what's going on in the Middle East?  Is it good - these people are finally getting somewhat of a huge chance to speak for themselves after years of oppression and neocolonialism and pretty awful stuff - or is it bad - the stability of the region is at stake?
Part III: Do you get the New Yorker (I know I've asked this question before)?  Since we're living in France, our mail is taking forever to arrive and so I've only got the February 14&21 anniversary issue that my mother brought with her (I actually don't know if there's another one out) and they had two really great pieces.  One was a Talk of the Town about the unrest in Egypt (at the time of publication, Mubarak hadn't stepped down) that compares the situation to the uprising in Prague in 1989 and has great lines like "as Mubarak raged and played at conflagration (pg. 38, D Remnick)" and "in diplomacy, the tension between moral and strategic considerations is always acute and often shaming (pg. 38 D Remnick)" - just, go read it.  Now it's a little outdated, but it's still supremely well-written and brings up a ton of great points.  The other piece I suggest is long - it took me like an hour to read, and I read fast - and it was called "The Apostate: Paul Haggis vs. the Church of Scientology."  I honestly understood nothing about scientology before I read this and, while biased, the article is pretty incredible.  So go get the New Yorker and read!

No comments:

Post a Comment